It is with the support of the community—through financial donations, volunteer commitments, and the donation of goods and services—that the Centre can be a refuge for men, women, and their children who are precariously housed or homeless, and offer respect, dignity, and support as they work toward transforming their lives.
Centre 454 could not do the work we do without our volunteers. We thank the many of you who assist inside and outside of the centre. You have touched the lives of the individuals we serve, and also enriched your own lives.
Interested in volunteering at the Centre? To apply, fill out the volunteer application form (30KB MS Word docx file)
and mail your application to:
454 King Edward Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1N 7M8
*Please note that volunteer opportunities are available for those who are over the age of 18*
All potential volunteers are asked to provide two references along with a completed police records check before beginning their volunteer hours. After all of the paperwork is provided, you will then be invited to come in for an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator. All volunteers are placed in a position that matches their current skills and interests, based on the availability within the centre.
You can also volunteer from home, or involve your group, church, or workplace in volunteer activities. For example:
- Volunteers can bake special treats for the participants or provide other nutritious snacks.
- Volunteers can organize special sock, toiletry, and underwear drives.
- You could organize a third-party fundraising event for the Centre.
- You could provide an opportunity for Centre staff to come and speak at your social group or church committee about how Centre 454 supports the marginalized in our community. We are always looking for opportunities to spread the word about what we do and how members in the community can help.
- Our wish list for in-kind donations changes frequently, but usually includes the items listed below.
|Socks||Seasonal clothing: toques, gloves, scarves|
|Toothbrushes & toothpaste||Liquid laundry detergent (not powder)|
|Stamps||Games, puzzles, cards|
|Phone cards||Books & magazines|
|Bus tickets||Newspaper subscriptions|
|Shampoo & conditioner||Men’s underwear (medium)|
Your donation helps by providing the materials required to support programs and services such as laundry soap and/or shampoo; by providing services required to implement programs such as website design and committee membership; and by providing financial resources to support program implementation.
YOU MAY CONTRIBUTE IN SEVERAL WAYS
- Donate online securely through PayPal
- Online through CanadaHelps
- Please note that when completing the on-line donation form, you can designate your donation to go directly to Centre 454. All charitable receipts will be sent to you in the name of the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa.
- Mail your cheque to:
454 King Edward Ave.
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7M8
- By Pre-Authorized Remittance (PAR)
- To enrol in the Pre-Authorized Remittance program, please complete the authorization form (446KB MS Word doc file) and return the form to Centre 454, along with a void cheque. A letter of thanks will be sent to you confirming receipt of your enrolment, and indicating the first and subsequent dates that your contribution will be deducted from your account. You will receive one receipt, annually, in January for tax purposes.
- To become an online monthly donor, please use Canada Helps.
- Greet someone on the street and help break down the barriers caused by stereotyping.
- Speak to your elected officials—City Councillor, MPP, MP—and let them know you are concerned about people who are precariously housed or homeless.
- Educate your friends and neighbours about Centre 454’s work.
- Get involved with the Alliance to End Homelessness and work with more than 70 organizations and individuals who, like you, want to be involved in creating solutions to homelessness in our community.